This is the correct way to paint walls so they last a long time.
Bored with the same ‘same’ room atmosphere? Maybe you have to redecorate the room in your house so that the atmosphere of the house looks fresher and more cheerful. Yep, one way is to paint the walls of the house.
Unfortunately, painting a house is not cheap. The reason is, apart from the cost of paint which is quite expensive, the cost of the painting process carried out by craftsmen is also expensive. Eits, but you don’t need to worry, because now you can learn how to paint your own house.
Curious? How do you paint your own house correctly and last a long time? Just take a look at the following review which has been reported from various sources.
How to Paint Old Walls
If you want to repaint the old walls of your house, there are several things you need to pay attention to. One of them is that there are still remnants of old paint on the walls. So, if you paint it directly, it will make your walls look ‘striped’.
So, how do you paint old walls? Here are the steps you need to pay attention to.
1. The first step in painting old walls is to check the condition of the walls, such as whether the layer of plaster or old paint is still attached or not.
To find out this, brush water on the surface of the wall then wait a few moments. If bubbles appear on the surface of the wall, the surface of the wall must be peeled off.
2. After checking the condition of the walls, the next way to paint the walls is to clean the wall surface. Remove all peeling paint, dirt and other dust by sanding it first.
3. The next way to paint the walls of a house is to coat the walls with a wall sealer (base paint) whose function is to neutralize the PH of the cement so that it matches the PH of the paint. Oh yes, if your walls tend to be damp, it’s best to use a sealer that contains alkali.
4. Then you can start repainting your walls by stirring the paint you want to apply until it is even, then dilute it according to the packaging instructions, and start applying the paint to the wall that you have prepared. Taraaa! How to paint the walls of an old house is easy, right?
The Right Way to Paint Walls
Apart from discussing how to paint old walls, we will also explain to you how to paint walls properly so that they last and don’t peel off easily.
For this reason, just take a look at the following review about the correct way to paint walls even without the help of a painter.
1. Make thorough preparations
The first step in how to paint walls properly and correctly is that you have to prepare everything you will need to paint the house. Therefore, here are some equipment that you must prepare, such as masking tape, duct tape, ladder, sandpaper, newspaper, putty, brush, roller, paint tub, and the paint color you want.
2. Make sure the walls are ready to be painted
Before painting the walls, don’t forget to clean the walls from dust so that the surface is smoother and more even. Use a feather duster, vacuum cleaner or rag to clean the walls.
If so, the next way to paint is to prepare the wall area that will be painted and cover the areas that you don’t want to paint, such as the ceiling edges, window frames and door handles.
3. Prepare the paint you will use
Before applying it to the wall, the correct way to paint the wall is that the paint must be stirred first so that there are no lumps and the resulting color can be more optimal.
Stir the paint for five minutes and add 10% water to the paint mixture, then coat the wall surface with high quality water base paint or solvent so that the paint looks smoother, more even and doesn’t peel off quickly.
4. Learn Brushes and Painting Methods
One way to paint walls that you shouldn’t miss is understanding the painting method and learning the brush. Using a roller when painting will really help to paint large wall areas. However, if you want to paint narrow areas such as the edges and corners of a room, you have to use a small brush so that the results are neat and more detailed.
Apart from that, the correct way to paint walls is to use the zig-zag method from top to bottom repeatedly so that the walls can be covered smoothly and evenly.
That’s the correct way to paint walls and you can do it yourself without the help of a craftsman. Easy enough, right? Hope it is useful!